[Xastir] manually generated tiger map problem

tbaggett at jump.net tbaggett at jump.net
Wed Apr 21 18:29:57 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason Winningham <jdw at eng.uah.edu>

> I've looked around, but the information I've found so far is
> mostly
> quite terse, and leads me to believe I'll need to become a
> GIS/mapping
> guru to make use of the data I can get my hands on.

Hi Jason,

I had to empathize since I have recently been going through the exact same thing as you, and same to the same conclusion you mentioned above. Xastir is essentially a GIS mapping application that just happens to support APRS :-)

There are very knowledgable folks who are very helpful on this group.

Maps seem to be in an early stage of evolving. As a result things are a bit rough about the edges, as you have found, both in documentation and in the maps available. Unfortunatly, users may have to put quite a bit of effort into getting the maps to display as they want. This is even more of a challenge to a GIS newbie such as us.

In the spirit of open source, I'd suggest that as you do learn the ropes and get maps created as you want them to feed them back to the list and in documentation. At least my hope is to be able to contribute something once I figure things out myself.

73,
Tim