[Xastir] RFD: Map Centering

Hurt, Jay hurt at adcom911.org
Wed Apr 21 23:48:43 EDT 2004

>I see a problem with it:  Depending on which maps you have enabled,
>it might take way too long to draw the map as you're dragging it.
>I could see perhaps zooming out some percentage and drawing lines
>for where the new map edges would be, then zooming in to that new
>center.  That would be much faster/more efficient, but you might
>lose some map detail while zoomed out depending on how things were
>set up, so there's another problem that could crop up.

Yes I could see re-drawing or refreshing the display could be ugly
as the map is moved.. Is there a way to keep the display from
refreshing new map data until the mouse is released? (This would,
of course, require that map data that is drug out of the viewing
area to be discarded if it was brought back into viewable area.)

I do also like the idea of zooming out and showing boundaries that
are pannable around the map. Are separate entities within the map
data (e.g. highways, arterial streets, local streets, etc) able to
be set at a different level than other entities? (Or is it only set
by each file within map chooser? I think this is how it works
currently.) It would initially be a nightmare to set up, but once
set would give the ability to leave certain information displayed
on the zoomed map. (Additionally would give the user great control
as to what features are shown at a given level.)

---
Jay Hurt
Adams County 911
Lead Dispatcher
N0XVB
DM79ox

"If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them."
-Phil Pastoret