[Xastir] RFD: Map Centering

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Apr 22 13:24:38 EDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Hurt, Jay wrote:

> Yes I could see re-drawing or refreshing the display could be ugly
> as the map is moved.. Is there a way to keep the display from
> refreshing new map data until the mouse is released? (This would,
> of course, require that map data that is drug out of the viewing
> area to be discarded if it was brought back into viewable area.)

We could perhaps have some sort of toggle that would enable a
map-dragging mode.  You drag it where you like, then when satisfied
turn off the toggle and Xastir will suck in new maps to cover
everything.

We have the maps that are on your screen in a pixmap, and we could
just keep re-drawing that pixmap to the screen as you drag things
around.  Even faster would be to just drag an outline around.

> I do also like the idea of zooming out and showing boundaries that
> are pannable around the map. Are separate entities within the map
> data (e.g. highways, arterial streets, local streets, etc) able to
> be set at a different level than other entities?

It depends on what type of map you're using.  You can turn on/off
map levels, set up different features at different zoom levels via
the dbfawk files, or enable/disable layers based on the map chooser
or the tigermap configuration.