[Xastir] how to use SDTS data?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon Apr 26 10:36:35 EDT 2004

The GIS novice is back, trying to get SDTS maps in xastir 1.3.1.

I have built xastir 1.3.1 using wget, proj, tiff, geotiff, imagemagick,
pcre, dbfawk, and gdal, and configure tells me it finds all of these.

I have downloaded some 1:24k DLG  SDTS data from USGS, expanded the
files and put them in a subdirectory of the maps directory, but no joy:
when I go to the map chooser (after reindexing) the maps aren't on the
list.  I don't see any errors, either.  It looks like xastir just
doesn't recognize them as maps.

  As far as I can tell GDAL is supposed to do the magic.  Is there some
sort of translation I need to do first, or is my build broken in some
way?

thanks,
Jason
kg4wsv