[Xastir] how to use SDTS data?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 26 13:39:27 EDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Jason Winningham wrote:

> The GIS novice is back, trying to get SDTS maps in xastir 1.3.1.
>
> I have built xastir 1.3.1 using wget, proj, tiff, geotiff, imagemagick,
> pcre, dbfawk, and gdal, and configure tells me it finds all of these.
>
> I have downloaded some 1:24k DLG  SDTS data from USGS, expanded the
> files and put them in a subdirectory of the maps directory, but no joy:
> when I go to the map chooser (after reindexing) the maps aren't on the
> list.  I don't see any errors, either.  It looks like xastir just
> doesn't recognize them as maps.

If you look at the SDTS download pages you'll see something about
another set of files that you need to put into place, something like
data dictionary?  Basically the dataset is incomplete without those.
That's what I recall anyway, but it's been a month or two so I might
be thinking about another dataset that I used GDAL on.