[Xastir] Re: Cygwin again

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Mon Apr 26 17:43:48 EDT 2004

Hello Curt,

At 12:30 26-4-2004 -0700, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>It has already been reported that the transient windows on Cygwin
>don't show up properly.  Evidently they show up on the taskbar but
>you can't select them.  Perhaps it is part of the same problem?

I just used the new Xwin that was released two days ago, it fixed the
problem. I also had a problem minimizing windows on a Windows ME system
(but it worked on XP), that also seems to be solved.

I thought that Cygwin existed for quite some time, but when I look at the
strange X-windows behaviour then it shows a lot of signs of imaturity.
Today I lost the mousepointer in the X windows area's (lucky enough the
window border is provided by Windows, so I could still close the windows).

Still performance-wise Cygwin is a disapointment. My 600 MHz Celeron laptop
with Cygwin behaves almost the same as my small 486 Laptop does with RedHad
5.2 Linux (which runs a dated 5 year old Linux version). The on the Athlon
XP3000 machine it is okay, but still slower than the 600 MHz Celeron laptop
with SuSE Linux 7.3 (yes, also dated now...). On the other hand, it works...

Kind regards,

Henk.