[Xastir] Re: Cygwin again

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Apr 29 15:33:39 EDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Henk de Groot wrote:

> I thought that Cygwin existed for quite some time, but when I look at the
> strange X-windows behaviour then it shows a lot of signs of imaturity.
> Today I lost the mousepointer in the X windows area's (lucky enough the
> window border is provided by Windows, so I could still close the windows).

It seems they change things often, trying to keep up with the latest
stuff perhaps?

> Still performance-wise Cygwin is a disapointment. My 600 MHz Celeron laptop
> with Cygwin behaves almost the same as my small 486 Laptop does with RedHad
> 5.2 Linux (which runs a dated 5 year old Linux version). The on the Athlon
> XP3000 machine it is okay, but still slower than the 600 MHz Celeron laptop
> with SuSE Linux 7.3 (yes, also dated now...). On the other hand, it works...

Agreed that Xastir on Cygwin is a poor performer compared to Xastir
on any Unix or Unix-like OS.  You have to have some horsepower and
some memory to make it behave reasonably on Windows.  Any new system
should be able to handle it just fine, but for systems hams
typically have laying around, they might need a few upgrades.