[Xastir] Xastir 1.3.xx and wx200d problems

Stefano Angelo Mario Lassini stefano at ieee.org
Mon Apr 26 21:10:49 EDT 2004

Over the past few weeks I have experienced failures in my xastir/wx200d setup
that would cause wx200d to stop responding after a couple of days or less of
uptime. If xastir was not connected to the network wx port wx200d would run
for many days at a time without problems.

I eventually traced the symptoms to the fact that the number of open sockets
to wx200d would increase to the point that several hundreds of socket at a
time were open to wx200d (or so appears by listing /proc/{wx200d PID}/fd.
Apparently every time that Xastir believes that the connectoin to wx200d is
down (due to lack of wx200d activity) it attempts to re-connect and in the
process a new socket is created and the old one is left hanging.

Once the number of sockets grows beyond the number of file descriptors
available to wx200d the daemon hangs, and needs to be killed and restarted.

I have tried to look at the code responsible for the networked weather
station, but I have to admit that my understanding of the structure of the
xastir code base is pretty weak...

Can anyone provide me any insight on what is going on, and where to look to
possibly attempt to trace and fix this behaviour?

I have an Oregon scientific WMR-968 wirelessweather station that I do nt seem
to be able to connect to xastir directly (I tried several combinations of
baud rates with no sucess), so wx200d is my only alternative at the moment,
and I would also like to be able to use the wx200d daemon to upload wx data
to other applications in the future.

The above behaviour happens in 1.3.1, 1.3.2 and in a CVS update from last
week.

Thanks for the help,

Sam
N8USY