[Xastir] Xastir 1.3.xx and wx200d problems

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 27 10:57:46 EDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Stefano Angelo Mario Lassini wrote:

> I eventually traced the symptoms to the fact that the number of open sockets
> to wx200d would increase to the point that several hundreds of socket at a
> time were open to wx200d (or so appears by listing /proc/{wx200d PID}/fd.
> Apparently every time that Xastir believes that the connectoin to wx200d is
> down (due to lack of wx200d activity) it attempts to re-connect and in the
> process a new socket is created and the old one is left hanging.

I don't believe Xastir will drop a connection due to inactivity, but
it will if the socket has a problem.  Perhaps wx200d is dropping the
socket at the other end?

Are you connected across a network to the wx200d instance, or is it
on the same machine as Xastir?

Is the network connection going up/down between the two (if not on
the same machine)?

> Once the number of sockets grows beyond the number of file descriptors
> available to wx200d the daemon hangs, and needs to be killed and restarted.

It sounds like a socket is not getting closed properly.  Perhaps
wx200d needs to have the KEEPALIVE TCP/IP socket option set, so that
it can tell when a socket is dead and then clean up after itself.