[Xastir] Xastir 1.3.xx and wx200d problems

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Wed Apr 28 09:12:05 EDT 2004

Sam,

	Do you have Ethereal on either of the Linux machines in question?  I
think you've got something not fully closing a socket.  If you can get a
trace of it you should be able to see what is being left hanging.

			THX/BDH

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 21:10, Stefano Angelo Mario Lassini wrote:
> Over the past few weeks I have experienced failures in my xastir/wx200d setup
> that would cause wx200d to stop responding after a couple of days or less of
> uptime. If xastir was not connected to the network wx port wx200d would run
> for many days at a time without problems.
>
> I eventually traced the symptoms to the fact that the number of open sockets
> to wx200d would increase to the point that several hundreds of socket at a
> time were open to wx200d (or so appears by listing /proc/{wx200d PID}/fd.
> Apparently every time that Xastir believes that the connectoin to wx200d is
> down (due to lack of wx200d activity) it attempts to re-connect and in the
> process a new socket is created and the old one is left hanging.
>
> Once the number of sockets grows beyond the number of file descriptors
> available to wx200d the daemon hangs, and needs to be killed and restarted.
>
> I have tried to look at the code responsible for the networked weather
> station, but I have to admit that my understanding of the structure of the
> xastir code base is pretty weak...
>
> Can anyone provide me any insight on what is going on, and where to look to
> possibly attempt to trace and fix this behaviour?
>
> I have an Oregon scientific WMR-968 wirelessweather station that I do nt seem
> to be able to connect to xastir directly (I tried several combinations of
> baud rates with no sucess), so wx200d is my only alternative at the moment,
> and I would also like to be able to use the wx200d daemon to upload wx data
> to other applications in the future.
>
> The above behaviour happens in 1.3.1, 1.3.2 and in a CVS update from last
> week.
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Sam
> N8USY
Brian D Heaton
Senior Network Engineer
Janus Research Group
(706) 791-8342
GPG Fingerprint: C99E 3E9C E23A 4E47 46F4 0A77 3A45 CB65 9E19 5B0A