[Xastir] Filter Parameter for Internet Server

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 28 12:59:36 EDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Michael J. Pawlowsky wrote:

> I downloaded world.tar.bz2 from
> http://aprsworld.net/gisdata/world/ and installed it into the
> /usr/local/share/xastir/map directory.

Did you run "bunzip2 world.tar.bz2" and then "tar xvf
world.tar.bz2"?

That map is in ESRI Shapefile format.  You'll need the optional
Shapelib library support compiled into Xastir in order to use that
map.

> I've also tried a xpm map with a geo file and that doesn't seem to
> work either for me.

Did you put the map and the .geo file somewhere together under the
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps directory or subdirectories thereof?
Did you re-index maps?  Does the map show up in the Map Chooser?

> Between you and me (and this list) there seems to be a decent
> learning curve here to get this up and running.  And I consider
> myslef to be quite knowledgable with most software packages and
> *nix machines.  I've only been running *nix machines at home for
> the past 20 years or so now!  ;-)

Write notes about what you were confused about and how they got
solved, then submit them back to us.  If you could do so as diff's
(unified or context diff's please), we'd really appreciate the help,
and so would the next set of new users to come along.

> I would imagine the average person would have surely given up by
> now.

> This is the debug info I get at startup:
>
> Built-in map types:
>       gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
>        map   APRSdos Maps
>        map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
>        pdb   PocketAPRS Maps
>
> Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
>        geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
>        xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)

You don't have the Shapelib library.  You need that for the world
file you mentioned and for weather alert maps to work.

> festival_client: connect to server failed
> SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival

You need to start Festival running before Xastir can connect to it.
See the INSTALL file.

> Warning:
>     Name: create_appshell text_output2
>     Class: XmTextField
>     Character '\260' not supported in font.  Discarded.
>
> The "Character '\260' not supported in font" message repeats for a long time with different chars.

There's a fix for that in the FAQ.