[Xastir] TX to the Internet

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 30 16:54:26 EDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Scott Ryan, AB8KN wrote:

> I have configured an Internet
> interface and have connected to a fairly local APRS server.  I was blown
> away by the traffic.  (Yes, I know, filtering would be agood thing.)  I do
> have the "allow transmit" or "transmit enable" button selected but my
> packets still seem to take the RF route.  All this leads to my question:
>
> Can I use the Internet interface to TX?

Yes.  By default, Xastir will transmit on all interfaces that have
transmit enabled, assuming your global transmit is also enabled.
More than likely you're transmitting both directly to the internet
now and to RF.  You could disable transmit on your RF interface to
test this out.

If you want a way to transmit weather only on the 'net, but transmit
your posits on both, we don't have a way to do that, nor is it
planned.  You could run two instances of Xastir though, one
connected to the internet and your WX station, the other connected
to RF and perhaps the internet as well.  If you do that, run them as
different users so that they won't fight over the same set of
configuration files.