[Xastir] TX to the Internet

Scott Ryan, AB8KN ab8kn at arrl.net
Fri Apr 30 16:44:08 EDT 2004

Xastir Folks,

I was wondering how I would go about setting up Xastir (I'm running 1.3.0)
to TX my WX data to the Internet directly without doing the RF to Igate
route.  APRS traffic in my area has increased the point that it's hard to
get a packet in edgewise so I thought I'd give the broadband connection a
try.  Plus, I'd be able to give the radio a rest.

I've been lurking on this list for quite some time and I noticed some
recent discussion about using the callpass program to generate a code to
be used with an Internet interface.  (BTW, many tnx to the person who
updated the INSTALL document with the updated information on using
callpass and finding an APRS server.)  I have configured an Internet
interface and have connected to a fairly local APRS server.  I was blown
away by the traffic.  (Yes, I know, filtering would be agood thing.)  I do
have the "allow transmit" or "transmit enable" button selected but my
packets still seem to take the RF route.  All this leads to my question:

Can I use the Internet interface to TX?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Scott, AB8KN