[Xastir] "The National Map" maps?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Aug 1 12:53:59 EDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Josh Keller wrote:

> *** geoTIFF file /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/90042090/90042090.TIF is not
> in the proper format.
>
> *** Please reformat it and try again.

If you grep through the Xastir source code you'll find that string
in map_tif.c (rather expected I assume).

In that section it does these checks:

    if ( (samplesPerPixel != 1)
        || (  bitsPerSample != 8)
        || (   planarConfig != 1) )

Does that answer the question?  This is the format that the USGS
uses for geoTIFF maps.  I believe that some of our code depends on
these.  If not, we should take any tests that are not required out
of there so that we can handle the widest variation in image types.

When our GDAL support is ready to go we should be able to handle a
much wider variation in image types.  At the moment that's not an
option though.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer