[Xastir] "The National Map" maps?

Josh Keller jeepin95 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 2 10:23:34 EDT 2004

I tried removing that test just to see what it did, it loaded the image but
it was like looking at color fuzz on the TV. I finally figured out what was
wrong with the image, I simply needed to convert it from RGB to either
grayscale or Indexed color to get samplesPerPixel to = 1, reinsert the geo
data (GIMP loses it), and now the maps work great, thanks.

Josh

If you grep through the Xastir source code you'll find that string
in map_tif.c (rather expected I assume).

In that section it does these checks:

    if ( (samplesPerPixel != 1)
        || (  bitsPerSample != 8)
        || (   planarConfig != 1) )

Does that answer the question?  This is the format that the USGS
uses for geoTIFF maps.  I believe that some of our code depends on
these.  If not, we should take any tests that are not required out
of there so that we can handle the widest variation in image types.