[Xastir] New Server Port

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Aug 2 04:09:13 EDT 2004

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Jason Hitesman wrote:

> I'm just wondering if there is any info about this new feature other
> than digging though the code to figure it out?

Nope.

> Were there any
> announcements I missed because of the mailing list problems?

Nope.

> If there's somewhere I can look for info please let me know.
>
> If not can we get a bit of explanation on the list about what this new
> feature is and how to use it?  Does this let us pass packets on to other
> apps kind of like AGWPE works...or am I missing the point?

You can use it to connect other APRS clients to.  You can telnet to
the port and watch the packets go by.  You can create scripts that
inject objects into the Xastir stream, but in that case you'd need
to include an authentication string.  Xastir will authenticate each
connection separately, and if authentication is good and you have
igating turned on, it will gate the packets upstream to whatever
servers Xastir is connected to.  It'll also inject the packets into
Xastir's decoding directly, and copy them to all other connected
clients.

The port is 2023.  "telnet localhost 2023" should show you all
packets that Xastir is receiving.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer