[Xastir] maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Aug 10 15:31:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, John Place wrote:

> Have the following type of maps downloaded:
>
> SC_Dorchester_County.prj    SC_Saluda_County.prj
> SC_Dorchester_County.shp    SC_Saluda_County.shp
> SC_Dorchester_County.shx    SC_Saluda_County.shx
> SC_Edgefield_County.dbf     SC_Spartanburg_County.dbf
> SC_Edgefield_County.prj     SC_Spartanburg_County.prj
> SC_Edgefield_County.shp     SC_Spartanburg_County.shp
> SC_Edgefield_County.shx     SC_Spartanburg_County.shx
> SC_Fairfield_County.dbf     SC_Sumter_County.dbf
> SC_Fairfield_County.prj     SC_Sumter_County.prj
> SC_Fairfield_County.shp     SC_Sumter_County.shp
> SC_Fairfield_County.shx     SC_Sumter_County.shx
>
> Have them for three states. They load everytime I zoom or move the maps.
> I probably don't have them set up correctly. Each state has it's own
> directory. Does each county have to have its own directory?  Or, maybe I
> have the wrong maps or to much. Any suggestions?

The directories don't matter, unless you want to separate them out
in some manner that makes subgroups of them more easily selectable
by you in the map chooser.

It sounds like you have all of the details compiled into a county
file.

I use the Tiger data that was converted to Shapefiles by ESRI or
the newer Tiger data that was converted by one of the Xastir users
(developer?  Can't remember who did the conversions now).  Those
files are separate by layer, and I normally turn on only streets, or
only streets/rivers/lakes, so I don't have to spend time loading all
the rest of the stuff.

the index file to decide which of the selected map set fits on your
screen, and skips loading those outside that boundary.