[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Aug 12 09:11:40 EDT 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 6:52 PM, William McKeehan wrote:

> For starters, when I downloaded the file from
> http://geonames.usgs.gov/stategaz/index.html
> I discovered that the format is different than expected by Xastir.

It looks like they changed the format.  Now it's | separated instead of
comma separated.

I just threw together a perl script to convert blah|blah|blah to
"blah","blah","blah", but xastir doesn't like the results.  Among the
problems:

- new fields. first one is "Feature ID number", looks like more new
ones at the end
- new types.  I had never heard of a "gut" as a terrain feature. :)

According to http://geonames.usgs.gov/gnis_users_guide_appendixc.html:
gut - relatively small coastal waterway connecting larger bodies of
water or other waterways (creek, inlet, slough).

-Jason
kg4wsv