[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Wed Aug 11 19:52:45 EDT 2004

I am having problems getting GNIS labels to display.

For starters, when I downloaded the file from
http://geonames.usgs.gov/stategaz/index.html
I discovered that the format is different than expected by Xastir. So I
converted their pipe delimited file to a comma delimited file and put " around
each column of data.

Then I followed the directions in the README.MAPS to the best of my ability. I
placed the resulting file /usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS/ which I renamed
TN.gnis. I created the symlink from maps/z to GNIS.

I open Xastir expecting to see lots of information...nothing. I go into Map
Chooser and choose z/TN.gnis...still, nothing.

I check my options - I have Enable Map Labels turned on....

What am I missing? Did I download the correct file to start with?

--
William McKeehan
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
http://mckeehan.homeip.net