[Xastir] Object/item bugs

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Thu Aug 12 17:20:26 EDT 2004

I'm running Xastir 1.3.1 on Fedora Core 1 and noticed some peculiarities
with the object/item functions. I quickly browsed through the mailing
list archives for a few months and didn't see these mentioned. Is there
a bug tracking system for Xastir, I didn't see any pointers to one either?

First of all, the object comment fields seem to start after a space in
the actual APRS packet. This eats one byte from the 43 byte maximum, but
the comment input fields seems to accomodate 43 bytes. When I checked my
object packet at findu, the last byte was stripped off and the space was
clearly visible.

When I try to modify an object I have created via the popup-menu
(Object/Item->Modify), a window opens and then immediately closes. This
happens every time I try and so fast that I can't see even the title of
the window before it closes. Clicking "Station info" in the popup-menu
and then selecting "Modify Object/Item" lets me edit the details of the
object.

Now when editing the objet, case changes in the comment field don't seem
to propagate reliably. When I first changed a few letters in the comment
field from upper case to lower case, they changed. But when I tried to
change the same letters back to upper case, they didn't change.

I also suggest adding a menu item for creating new objects/items to a
suitable menu at the top of the window. Maybe also add new/edit buttons
to the "(Own) Objects & Items" windows available via View-menu. It took
me a while to realize I have to use the popup menu to create objects, as
I had the coordinates on paper for the object I wanted to create without
knowing exactly where the object will reside on the map.

I also have one question about bitmap maps in Xastir: Is it possible to
have Xastir adjust to the latitude/longitude scales of a bitmap map? As
everyone knows, a bitmap map looks best when it is viewed with one
display pixel equaling one pixel of the bitmap. Achieving this in Xastir
seems to be difficult (and don't even get me started on scrolling!).

Anyways Xastir is a fine APRS program, keep up the good work!

   Tapio