[Xastir] Object/item bugs

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Aug 12 17:27:54 EDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> I'm running Xastir 1.3.1 on Fedora Core 1 and noticed some peculiarities
> with the object/item functions. I quickly browsed through the mailing
> list archives for a few months and didn't see these mentioned. Is there
> a bug tracking system for Xastir, I didn't see any pointers to one either?

    http://www.xastir.org

Click on the SourceForge page.  Bug tracking is listed there.
Please file one bug per problem you described.

Note that the dialog that appears/disappears quickly is there by
design.  We're using the find-the-station-near-the-mouse features of
the Station Info dialog, but dropping right through it to the modify
dialog.  You should see the modify dialog if you're near one of your
objects when you do this mouse operation.  If you're not near one,
you won't get to a modify dialog for objects/items that way.

> I also suggest adding a menu item for creating new objects/items to a
> suitable menu at the top of the window. Maybe also add new/edit buttons
> to the "(Own) Objects & Items" windows available via View-menu. It took
> me a while to realize I have to use the popup menu to create objects, as
> I had the coordinates on paper for the object I wanted to create without
> knowing exactly where the object will reside on the map.

Things like this should go on the RFE list (Feature Request list, or
Request Feature Enhancement).

> I also have one question about bitmap maps in Xastir: Is it possible to
> have Xastir adjust to the latitude/longitude scales of a bitmap map? As
> everyone knows, a bitmap map looks best when it is viewed with one
> display pixel equaling one pixel of the bitmap. Achieving this in Xastir
> seems to be difficult (and don't even get me started on scrolling!).

There was some work done on this by Chris Bell I believe, and there
are still some #define's in the code that will allow Xastir to try
to display bitmaps at proper resolutions.

I prefer vector maps so that I bypass those sorts of problems.