[Xastir] Opentrac?

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Sat Aug 14 16:48:14 EDT 2004

The major facts are:

- OpenTrack packets are still AX.25 data.

- Nearly all digipeaters don't care, as long as it's AX.25, and will
digipeat all AX.25 packets with the proper digi path.

- Some digipeaters will only digipeat APRS packets, because they were
designed to be APRS digipeaters and not generic AX.25 digipeaters.

- Nearly all client APRS clients, except Xastir, will ignore OpenTRAC
packets.

- Xastir will only receive OpenTRAC packets, and only if the incoming
packets are received through an 8-bit-safe method like linux-AX.25
interface or Serial-KISS interface. Regular Converse mode TNCs may
potentially mangle OpenTRAC data.

- OpenTRAC is amateur packet. APRS is amateur packet. Operate on
whatever frequencies the regulations allow (including the rule for good
amateur operating practice). The FCC does not distiguish between APRS
and any other type of packet because the emission type is the same
regardless of the data flying across.

- You will probably find most OpenTRAC traffic on 144.39 MHz in the U.S.
Other OpenTRAC traffic will most likely be found on the
ARRL-bandplan-defined packet frequencies (in the U.S.), but there is not
any kind of OpenTRAC-specific frequency (YET?).

- OpenTRAC is defined at http://www.opentrac.org

- The original idea-man behind OpenTRAC sells a TinyTrak-inspired device
called the OpenTracker at http://n1vg.net/OpenTracker

I know of no other OpenTRAC transmitting products, other than carefully
custom-crafting a packet and dumping it raw into a KISS stream to a TNC.
However, look for more cool OpenTRAC stuff from N1VG in the future --
Scott has some really great ideas and plans. (A remote packet device
that can have it's firmware updated over-the-air!)

-Lance KJ5O

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://map.findu.com/kj5o-12
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat
the cookies.