[Xastir] xastir on a laptop mobile?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Aug 28 12:35:30 EDT 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Steve West-Fisher wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 12:33, Chris wrote:
> > Seems easy, but there is only one serial port on my laptop.  Also, unless I read some of the documentation wrong, GPSman does not work with Magellan GPS.
> >
> > Besides...I got to make a really cool 2 headed cable.  Used cat5 for the cable and DB9 heads...
> >

> I use an HSP cable I made that lest Xastir switch between the TNC and
> GPS. Works pretty well.

HSP is a hack though.  Xastir doesn't know when the TNC is
transmitting data to it, so you end up losing some data when you
switch over to the GPS, plus you can end up getting truncated
strings from the TNC at the switchover points.

By using the KPC-3+ with the bit-banged serial port on it, he's not
losing any of the TNC data, so it's a better setup.

Other similar setups would be:

  Paccomm dual-port picopacket

  Kenwood TH-D7A

  Kenwood TM-D700A

  Perhaps the Alinco mobile rig with the TNC, not sure if it has an
  additional port for the GPS, but the TNC is made by the same
  manufacturer as makes the Kenwood TNC's.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer