[Xastir] Xastir with festival on cygwin!

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Sat Aug 28 14:29:43 EDT 2004

I've been evangelizing xastir to a friend who will be stuck on a losedows
machine, and after getting him started on his cygwin install, I decided to
look into getting festival running.

I found this site:
http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/cgi-bin/lists.cgi?config=festival_faq&entry=installing_festival

It didn't work, exactly, but after some playing around I managed to get the
latest beta release (1.95) of festival running under cygwin, and built xastir
to use it.

It wasn't all that difficult, and after doing it I'm not sure how many of the
steps were absolutely essential, but here's what I did, based on hints from
the cstr web site above.

1) make c:\festival and c:\tmp
2) download festival components from festvox.org into c:\festival:
    speech_tools-1.2.95-beta.tar.gz
    festival-1.95-beta.tar.gz
    festlex-CMU.tar.gz
    festlex-POSLEX.tar.gz
    festvox-kallpc16k.tar.gz
3) start cygwin and mount tmp and festival:
   mount -f -s -b "C:/festival" "/festival"
   mount -f -s -b "C:/tmp" "/tmp"
   According to the cstr site this is important to getting the server to work
   right.  These should go in your startup shell rc file.
4) build festival and company:
   cd /festival
   tar xzf speech_tools-1.2.95-beta.tar.gz
   tar xzf festival-1.95-beta.tar.gz
   tar xzf festlex-CMU.tar.gz
   tar xzf festlex-POSLEX.tar.gz
   tar xzf festvox-kallpc16k.tar.gz

   cd speech_tools
   ./configure && make
   cd ../festival
   ./configure && make

   These packages don't have proper "make install" targets, and if you do make
   install it won't put stuff in /usr/local like code does when it was brought
   up well.

5) In my case, I had to change the festival.scm file in /festival/festival/lib
   because my machine doesn't call itself "localhost" when I telnet out, and
   doing "telnet localhost 1314" got me rejected from the server.  I just
   added my system's name to the "server_access_list" variable.

6) Add /festival/festival/bin to PATH
   export PATH=/festival/festival/bin

7) configure and build xastir.  Configure should report that festival is
   found.

8) Start the festival server:
   festival --server &

9) Run xastir, do File->Configure->Speech, add things to say, and listen.

Having had this victory, I'm going to go back and ignore windows, so if anyone
else wants to play and streamline the process, have at it.  It might be possible
that the bit about mounting C:\tmp and C:\festival are only important if you're
running festival from outside cygwin or something, but I'm not going back to
work it all out.

Now my next task might be to rebuild ImageMagick on cygwin to get it built with
PNG support --- the binaries pointed to by README.win32 don't have PNG support,
and so trying to read the weather maps doesn't work.   Then again, maybe it's
easier just to edit USRadar.geo to use some other format?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
(1) Ignorance of your profession is best concealed by solemnity and silence,
which pass for profound knowledge upon the generality of mankind.
                -------"Advice to Officers of the British Army", 1783