[Xastir] Xastir with festival on cygwin!

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Sun Aug 29 16:46:55 EDT 2004

Hello Tom,

Great news!

At 12:29 28-8-2004 -0600, Tom Russo wrote:
>I've been evangelizing xastir to a friend who will be stuck on a losedows
>machine, and after getting him started on his cygwin install, I decided to
>look into getting festival running.

The instruction you posted seems to be targeted at also using Festival
outside the Cygwin environment. When you however stay within the Cygwin
environment the hassle with mounting is not needed and Festival can be
build as if it is yet another Linux system.

Here are the modified instructions:

1) Start BASH shell in Cygwin

2) Make ~/festival download directory and
    /usr/local/festival installation directory

3) Download festival components from festvox.org into ~/festival, in the
    Windows environment the corresponding path is:

     C:\Cygwin\home\%USERNAME%\festival

    get the following files:

     speech_tools-1.2.95-beta.tar.gz
     festival-1.95-beta.tar.gz
     festlex-CMU.tar.gz
     festlex-POSLEX.tar.gz
     festvox-kallpc16k.tar.gz

4) Build festival and company:

    cd /usr/local/festival
    tar xzf ~/festival/speech_tools-1.2.95-beta.tar.gz
    tar xzf ~/festival/festival-1.95-beta.tar.gz
    tar xzf ~/festival/festlex-CMU.tar.gz
    tar xzf ~/festival/festlex-POSLEX.tar.gz
    tar xzf ~/festival/festvox-kallpc16k.tar.gz

    cd speech_tools
    ./configure && make
    cd ../festival
    ./configure && make

    These packages are build and used where they are compiled.

5) Test festival:

    cd /usr/local/festival/festival/examples
    sh saytime

    Festival should say the time if everything went fine

6) Add /festival/festival/bin to PATH in .profile and .bashrc. For me
    both files look like this:

    .profile and .bashrc:
    -------------------
    export
PATH=$PATH:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/festival/festival/bin:~/bin:.

    -------------------

7) Configure and build xastir.  Configure should report that festival is
    found.

8) Start the festival server:

    festival --server &

    To do this automatically I added the following lines to my .bash_profile:

    if  [ `ps -ef | grep festival | wc -l` -eq 0 ]
    then
      festival --server &
      sleep 1
    fi

9) Run xastir, do File->Configure->Speech, add things to say, and listen.