[Xastir] Xastir with festival on cygwin!

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Sun Aug 29 18:16:01 EDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:48:41PM -0500, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <kb0kqa at arrl.net> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> >Now, if only windows wasn't such a pig with cygwin -- the friend I've been
> >evangelizing to can't build xastir on his 400MHz machine with 128MB ram,
> it
> >gets hung up in linking (he said he waited twelve hours and it got
> nowhere!).
>
> It doesn't get hung-up.  I've seen this on two windows machines.  I have a
> similar laptop that takes a long time to build xastir (I just let it go and
> a few days later when I think of it I turn the screen back on to see that
> it's done).  If you let it run long enough it will finish.  12 hours may
> not be long enough.

Hehe.  Well, a link phase that takes 12+ hours is as good as being hung up
AFAIC :-).

Interestingly enough, he's getting a "-no-undefined" flag into his LDFLAGS
from somewhere, and gcc is hating that.  I'm still trying to figure out where
that is coming from.  My cygwin build (using the same version of gcc and
cygwin, only with more libraries installed), doesn't get that.

Even if he lets it sit and link for a few days, odds are good it'll just be
too slow for him anyway.  And this is just the initial build, with minimal map
libraries.  My big selling point for xastir was the on-line maps and ability
to read in shapefiles and free USGS topos (of which I have tons for this area).
So he'll have to go through it all again soon, and then find out the machine is
too slow.

I ran xastir on a slower PC than his -- but running FreeBSD --- for a year or
two with no problems before I went and upgraded my desktop.  Man I hate windows.

> >Guess I have to switch to evangelizing a real OS first...
>
> Now that's a whole different topic.  :)  Although it is nice to be able to
> run linux-type applications on a windows machine when windows is your only
> choice (thankfully it's not my only choice).

Nod.  But running a posix emulation  layer on top of a memory pig like
windows, on a 400MHz processor with only barely enough ram is not looking like
a viable choice for this fellow.
Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
(1) Ignorance of your profession is best concealed by solemnity and silence,
which pass for profound knowledge upon the generality of mankind.
                -------"Advice to Officers of the British Army", 1783