[Xastir] Smart RELAY digipeating

Matt Werner kb0kqa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 18:52:17 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:44:50 -0800 (PST), Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Tapio Sokura wrote:
>
> > I've been watching the traffic on the local 2m APRS network for a while
> > with Xastir RELAY digipeating enabled using a serial kiss tnc (without
> > kernel ax.25). I haven't looked at the source code (yet), but it looks
> > like Xastir digipeats all RELAY packets it hears, as the basic rule
> > goes. This results in my station repeating packets that a WIDE
> > digipeater 10 km away already digipeated. And then the WIDE digipeater
> > digipeats the frame again after Xastir has done the RELAY digipeating.
>
> Question:  Is Xastir digipeating packets for which the "digipeated"
> bit associated with the RELAY callsign has already been set?  This
> is usually represented by a '*' following "RELAY" on a non-KISS TNC.
> If so, the code needs to be fixed to ignore those packets.

Although I haven't watched it recently, I know in the past that xastir
would digipeat a packet that it hears from the originating station
with a path of RELAY, WIDE.  The part that sometimes got confusing
would be that before my TNC keyed the radio we would also receive a
packet where the local digipeater had already digipeated the original
packet.  After the TNC sent xastir's RELAYed packet, the digi would
pick that one out again as well.

Sometimes it appeared that xastir was digipeating a packet that was
picked up from the local digi when it actually was just sending it out
AFTER we received it from the local digi.

73 - Matt