[Xastir] Smart RELAY digipeating

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Thu Dec 2 01:37:28 EST 2004

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> Question:  Is Xastir digipeating packets for which the "digipeated"
> bit associated with the RELAY callsign has already been set?  This
> is usually represented by a '*' following "RELAY" on a non-KISS TNC.
> If so, the code needs to be fixed to ignore those packets.

I haven't observed that happening. As you later in the message guessed,
the WIDE digipeater also digipeats RELAY (and TRACE) packets, which I
think is a quite sensible thing to do. The WIDE digipeater I have
observed is running a KPC-3+ with 9.0 firmware, but that isn't relevant
to this issue.

> I think we'd be getting into the realm of "things best handled by
> other software".  Digi_Ned would be the prime candidate here.

Certainly a special digipeater software would be closer to the
traditional *nix ideology here. But I'm thinking of the great number of
Joe Average hams that run Xastir or any other APRS client software and
have RELAY digipeating enabled. Ideally in the present situation all
stations in a crowded area should not have RELAY digipeating enabled,
because it can generate a lot of extra traffic if many RELAY stations
hear the original packet. If client software implemented a random delay
before RELAY digipeating and checked whether someone else has already
digipeated the frame, just about all stations could enable this sort of
RELAY functionality without causing too much extra QRM. If this requires
installing a special digipeater software, the required effort is
probably more than an average user wants to go through.

Anyway this feature hardly is a "must", but it would be nice.

   Tapio