[Xastir] dumb question du jour

J. Lance Cotton josecanuc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 16:41:16 EST 2004

On Thu,  2 Dec 2004 16:08:50 -0500, Wes Johnston <wes at kd4rdb.com> wrote:
> Ok, I've gotten sound modem working... I can run soundmodem & and see stations
> being received scroll by on the screen.  GREAT!.
> When I make an interface in xastir for ax25 tnc, and call it 'aprs', I get
> interface 4 hard fail.
>
> What'd I do wrong?  How the heck does sm0 interface get mapped to aprs in the
> axports file?

You need to 'chmod 4555 /usr/local/bin/xastir' -- xastir with normal
permissions cannot access the sm0 network device.

The sm0 device gets mapped to the axports entry based on the callsign
in the axports compared to the callsign entered in the soundmodem
configuration.

> Also, the soundmodem is sending samba broadcast info... how do I stop samba from
> broadcasting on this port?  No need in all that junk going out on air.

Stop running samba? ;-)

Seriously, though -- I am not sure. Perhaps there is a setting in
Samba to not operate on all interfaces, but only specific ones.

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightnigflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3.
Eat the cookies.