[Xastir] dumb question du jour

J. Lance Cotton josecanuc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 17:29:00 EST 2004

On Thu,  2 Dec 2004 17:12:35 -0500, Wes Johnston <wes at kd4rdb.com> wrote:
> KC4PL suggested I do chmod 4555 as well, and I tried it on the phone with him a
> few hours ago.  No dice.  We even check my user groups based on his working
> setup.  Dont mean to keep shooting down suggestions... hoping to find something
> that works.

Try starting xastir as root (not usually a good idea, but for
testing...) and see if you get the same error.

Are you starting up soundmodem before xastir is opened? Xastir grabs
the 'valid' port names (those with a device attached) when it is
opened and at no other time, so if you start xastir before soundmodem,
xastir won't see that a device is attached.

There might also be something with the mkiss module. You could try the
"KISS" option (in the Packet I/O tab of the channel setup in
soundmodemconfig) and then use the program kissattach to attach the
KISS "pseudodevice" /dev/soundmodem0 to your "aprs" port:

/usr/local/sbin/kissattach /dev/soundmodem0 aprs 192.168.9.9 (or whatever)

the device /dev/soundmodem0 is treated like a KISS TNC attached to a
serial port.

Keep us up-to-date on your progress and keep asking questions! The
documentation on getting soundmodem going is sparse!
--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightnigflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3.
Eat the cookies.