[Xastir] README.MAPS Where is it?

John Kraus kc4zgq at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 23:53:57 EST 2004

Ok I now have the system up and running.

I did a search on my system for README.MAPS with various combinations of
upper and lowercase and this file is not on my system anywhere that I can
find.  I also looked on google and found a copy on Sourceforge but it did
not make sense it seemed to be missing critical background information.

I can get the online tiger maps,terraserver and toposerver maps to display.
Can these be cached for local use with faster load times? If so how?

I downloaded all of the shapefiles from the TAMU site. I placed them into
the /usr/share/xastir/maps/shapefiles  directory.  I saw them index on
startup and I see them in mapchoser.  However, I only get small chunks to
load. IE I will see a few roads near one corner and more on another but
nothing in the center.  I am working with all of the southeast files so
there should be no gaps.  Yet Macon seems to be missing completely.  Even
when these chunks do load it takes at least 10-15 minutes at the 5km range
scale.  There has got to be a better map system somewhere.

The machine is a 500mhz AMD K-6  with 256 ram and a 4gb swap partition.  I
would hope it could load a map in less then 10 minutes.

Any suggestions?