[Xastir] README.MAPS Where is it?

Dan Brown brown at brauhausdc.org
Mon Dec 13 12:15:17 EST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Bob Nielsen wrote:

>> I can get the online tiger maps,terraserver and toposerver maps to display.
>> Can these be cached for local use with faster load times? If so how?
>
> Tiger maps are now cached (in CVS a few weeks ago).  I don't know about
> the others, but README.MAPS only mentions tiger.  If you use CVS to
> upgrade to the latest source, you will have caching.

Tigermaps are the only ones cached at the moment.  It doesn't really make
sense to cache radar images - I'd actually say they should be purposefully
expired and reloaded periodically, but will leave that feeped creature
alone for now.

I haven't checked very deeply into the other downloadable map formats -
Terra and Topo - but Curt has suggested we'd want to check the Acceptable
Use Policies before enabling caching. I just haven't done that yet.

As long as the download isn't much more than a URL, turning on caching
shouldn't be too hard, though will require code changes.

Dan.

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhausdc.org