[Xastir] ESRI shapefiles

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Dec 13 21:21:00 EST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 07:13:58PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jewen at shaw.ca> flavor, containing:
> Will Xastir support .shp/.shx/.dbf shapefiles?
>
> I see it supports .eoo filetype.

I don't think .e00 is supported.  With GDAL installed you can use AVC/Binary
transfers, and that means that you could use the free utilities avcimport
and possible e00conv to convert e00 files to AVCBin format.  But neither
GDAL/OGR nor Xastir has explicit support for e00 format.

Support for GDAL/OGR is somewhat limited, but you can get e00 maps displayed
that roundabout way.

> If it does handle the .shp/.shx/.dbf shapefiles, what do I need to add in to
> get them working?

These are well supported.

You need to have "shapelib" installed on your system.  For greatest flexibility
in rendering shapefiles, you should also install "pcre".  Depending on what
system you are running, this could involve installing both "runtime" and
"development" packages for these libraries.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "That which does not kill me is better than that which does."
    --Irving Nietzche, lesser known of the famous Nietzche twins