[Xastir] ESRI shapefiles

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 13 23:24:16 EST 2004

> > If it does handle the .shp/.shx/.dbf shapefiles, what do I
> need to add
> > in to get them working?
>
> These are well supported.
>
> You need to have "shapelib" installed on your system.  For
> greatest flexibility in rendering shapefiles, you should also
> install "pcre".  Depending on what system you are running,
> this could involve installing both "runtime" and
> "development" packages for these libraries.

Of course as soon as I send my query to the list, I get an email with a
pointer to the info I need!

Thanks for your help Tom. I was able to find the info in the cygwin
instructions on sourceforge. The instructions even worked!

Now I have street level road data for the first time! This is cool! I have
roads to drive on, instead of making my own trails on the blank screen!

Are there any tools available in Linux that would allow me to create maps
from shapefiles for the lesser applications? Ie WinAPRS maps.

One thing that I'd like to do for Xastir is pull the data apart into various
layers. Right now, I get every road in Alberta drawn when zoomed out. I'd
like to pull only major highways into a map, the next map would have
secondary roads, and the close in layer would have all the local roads.

James
VE6SRV