[Xastir] README.MAPS Where is it?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 13 23:03:35 EST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, John Kraus wrote:

> Even
> when these chunks do load it takes at least 10-15 minutes at the 5km range
> scale.  There has got to be a better map system somewhere.

Be patient.  Learn about all the map capabilities.  There's a lot
under the hood.  If you want the fastest maps, stick with vector
maps, probably Shapefile maps, but you can also use others, like
dosAPRS, PocketAPRS, and WinAPRS maps.  Find some you like that work
for the bigger picture and set up the map levels so that they show
there.  Find some that are more detailed, then set them to display
only at higher zoom levels (lower number).  That way as you zoom out
you'll go to your less detailed maps, as you zoom in you get more
detail.  You can set up as many levels as you like or as simply as
you like.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer