[Xastir] ESRI shapefiles

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 13 23:32:14 EST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, James Ewen wrote:

> One thing that I'd like to do for Xastir is pull the data apart into various
> layers. Right now, I get every road in Alberta drawn when zoomed out. I'd
> like to pull only major highways into a map, the next map would have
> secondary roads, and the close in layer would have all the local roads.

If you could easily do that, you'd have the fastest map system that
you could do with Xastir currently.

You wouldn't have to read and skip those features that you weren't
intending to draw.

Perhaps Tom might have a clue as to whether this could be done
easily.  I haven't tried that.  You might be able to easily create
some tools using ogr2ogr or shapelib to do it.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer