[Xastir] help with topo lines overlayed

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Dec 15 07:35:35 EST 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 11:58 PM, Jason Hitesman wrote:

>  I can't figure out where to get the data files to do topo lines for
> my area.
>
> Any more detailed pointers?

No, but I'll share a rude little surprise I got: the SDTS data isn't
100% complete.

For example, there isn't very much 1:24k (aka LARGE_SCALE) hypsography
data for Alabama, and there are holes in the 1:100k coverage, too, so
that I can't get contours for all of the areas where I live, work, and
play.

If you get to the directory that contains the quad where you live and
don't see a "hypsography" directory, they don't have contour lines for
that map section.

There is a tool on the USGS web site to show you what data they do and
don't have available.  I personally found it quicker to just look in
the directory myself (after I looked up "hypsography" in the
dictionary, anyway :).

-Jason
kg4wsv