[Xastir] APRS with non APRS equiped stations ?

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Wed Dec 15 16:20:23 EST 2004

In participating in the event last year, I learned that sometimes the position
reports come in very quickly. I think that typing something like:
    SAG1,W15
would be quicker for me than draging their objects around the screen.

In an ideal world, the program would use their last position report for each
"object" and the distance traveled (along the route, not as the crow flies) to
calculate their speed to enable dead reconing.

On Wed, December 15, 2004 4:14 pm, Curt, WE7U said:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, William McKeehan wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking about using APRS to assist in an event. The event is a
>> 150
>> mile bicycle ride. We will have HAMs running in the lead, along the group,
>> and
>> at the end. The group of HAMs that I will be working with will (in general)
>> not have APRS running.
>>
>> At Net Control, I would like to have an easy way to keep track of where
>> everyone is. I was thinking about the following.
>>
>> 1. Generate a list of places along the planned route where each HAM should
>> notify Net contol via voice when they pass these places.
>> 2. Have a list of callsigns for the participants and their associated
>> tatical
>> callsigns (i.e., LEAD, AMBUL, TAIL, SAG1, etc).
>>
>> Given the above, it should be relatively easy to write a program that will
>> take the callsign (real or tatical), their associated waypoint and update
>> Xastir (via the server port?).
>>
>> Has anyone done anything like this?
>
> You could certainly write a program that would generate an object or
> item for each of these, selecting from a set of waypoints for the
> locations.
>
> Why can't you just drag an object across the screen to the new
> location?  That'd save you a lot of work.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.   APRS Client Comparisons: http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown

William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
http://mckeehan.homeip.net