[Xastir] APRS with non APRS equiped stations ?

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 15 22:23:12 EST 2004

> 1. Generate a list of places along the planned route where
> each HAM should notify Net control via voice when they pass
> these places.
> 2. Have a list of callsigns for the participants and their
> associated tactical callsigns (i.e., LEAD, AMBUL, TAIL, SAG1, etc).
>
> Given the above, it should be relatively easy to write a
> program that will take the callsign (real or tactical), their
> associated waypoint and update Xastir (via the server port?).
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?

This is a project that is near and dear to my heart...

It is very difficult to determine the lead runner/cyclist/swimmer/etc. of a
race before the race starts. It is also difficult to try and get a top
competitive athlete to carry a tracker with them.

One thing that can be determined ahead of time is the approximate speed of
your lead runner. Bob Bruninga discusses the concept well in this document.
http://www.aprs.net/vm/DOS/MARATHON.HTM

Bob's implementation doesn't have the resolution that I'd like, and if I
remember correctly, you have to pay extra for the option.

M0CYP Andy Pritchard has an add-on for UI-View called UI-Waypoint. It allows
you to enter a number of predetermined waypoints, and will play them back at
a preset time.

It is free, but doesn't quite fit my bill either. I asked last year about
making some changes to it, but got no response. I am thinking of asking
again. I am currently working with Andy on his UI-Path program. We've been
adding a bunch of new features to it, making the webpages generated a whole
bunch different, with more information available. He's really responsive to
input. We're just about done with all the updates I can think of. I'm going
to see if I can redirect him to UI-Waypoint and add the features I want.

I would like to be able to give it a detailed track of the course to be
followed... i.e. feed it a gps track, and give it a speed at which to follow
the course. One thing that is nice is that you can grab the object, and drop
it onto the track, and it will simply continue on from there at the
appropriate speed. This means when you get a manual report of the location
of the first runner on the voice net, you can move the runner object to that
location to make it coincide with the voice report.

With the speed set properly, the object following the path will be pretty
close to the real location. You can answer the query, "Where's the lead
runner" with a good deal of accuracy.

Launching multiple objects at different speeds can let you track lead
female, pack, and sweep objects as well.

Anyone have anything like that for Xastir yet? Once I get this dbfawk
figured out, Xastir is moving to the top of my favourite APRS client list! I
don't want to have to run multiple programs to get all the features needed!

James
VE6SRV