[Xastir] Maps, Maps, Maps

Dan Brown brown at brauhausdc.org
Thu Dec 16 07:28:23 EST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, KK6RW wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:22:20 -0800
> From: KK6RW <kk6rw at kk6rw.com>
> To: xastir at xastir.org
> Subject: [Xastir] Maps, Maps, Maps
>
> Hello all,
>
>   I've read with interest the messages regarding maps and now after a
> short time away from playing with Xastir, I want to try some different
> maps. I'm running Xastir on a Windows box with Cygwin.
>
>   First, I would like to save copies of online Tiger maps to use when I
> might not have an Inet connection. I see the different images saved in the
> map_cache directory but no corresponding .geo files. Is there a way to save
> these maps without using the snapshot feature? Speakign of the snapshot
> feature, is there a way to change the default timing of five minutes?

Not currently, but it is one thing I had thought about, at one point in
time.  What I would recommend doing is saving some 'bookmarks' using the
"map display bookmark" menu option for the views you like - the maps are
cached automatically and, when you go back to the bookmark, will be loaded
from the cache, rather than hitting the 'net.  This saves having to
manually manage the mapfiles.  Having the .geo files generated at the same
time the maps are saved, and or generated off of the URL's saved in the
database might be something for the future.

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhausdc.org