[Xastir] Maps, Maps, Maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Dec 16 09:39:38 EST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, KK6RW wrote:

>     About Shapefiles. I've downloaded, extracted and indexed the Washington
> state shapefiles from http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir/maps/shapefile/USA/WA/
> but I've now got over 125 SHP files with no discernable correlation to my
> area of interest. Am I doing something wrong?

Do you need to know which area they go to?  Xastir will skip maps
that don't fit in your current view, so as you zoom in it gets
faster and faster.

Perhaps you don't want a lot of counties loaded when you're zoomed
way out.  The number in the filenames specifies the county, and the
Tiger/Line docs can fill you in on which county is which.  Go to
www.census.gov and look those up, then file the maps under each
county name.  That's generally what I do.

>     I've downloaded the county and other shapefiles for the weather warnings
> but I have not seen them displayed. Will they display over the online Tiger
> maps?

They display on top of ANYTHING, because of the way Xastir works.
We load maps first, then we draw weather alerts on top of the
combined map image, then we draw symbols/tracks on top of that.
After all that's done, we copy the pixmap up to the display.

You have to have weather alerts turned on in the MAP menu.  You need
Shapelib support compiled in to Xastir.  You have to have the
correct NOAA maps installed in the /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties
directory.