[Xastir] Datum conversions

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Dec 19 04:24:07 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 12:04:19AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jewen at shaw.ca> flavor, containing:

> Another thing I'd like to know, once I get the shapefiles working, is
> whether there is a was to convert a shapefile to a gps track. I have a
> shapefile theme that is the trace of the course to be skied. If I could turn
> that into a GPS track, and upload it to my Garmin GPS II+, I could use the
> trackback simulator to create a pseudo-lead skier.
>
> It's a little tough to run a lead vehicle in front of the leader of this
> race. Nothing is allowed on the course before the skiers. A snowmobile would
> destroy the tracks that are set for the skiers, and would cause a great deal
> of problems. The only way to track the lead skier is to give them a tracker
> to carry, or to run a simulated tracker along the course.

I lose track --- are you running in a linux or Cygwin setup?

If you're on linux, do you have gpsman and gpsmanshp installed to enable
xastir to read tracks directly from GPS?

If so, you might be able to use gpsman (outside of xastir) to read the
shapefile directly and write it to your gps as a track or route.

I have never done this, but the documentation for gpsman seems to say it
can be done.  It looks like you'd do it with the command:
  gpsman readput TR Shapefile_2D filename

If you don't have gpsman and gpsmanshp, the instructions are in INSTALL.
Unfortunately, every time I try to go to the web site listed for both gpsman
and gpsmanshp it gives me a 403 Forbidden error tonight.  It could be a
temporary thing.  There might be another site you can get it from with some
creative googling.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."