[Xastir] Datum conversions

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 19 16:05:35 EST 2004

> I've had good luck reading those types of files in with OGR.
> Unfortunately if you switch the Shapefile drawing over to OGR
> you end up losing the dbfawk functionality, plus you don't
> have all the hard-coded defaults in there of the non-dbfawk
> original Shapefile code.  This makes the maps ugly, but
> perhaps still useful for you.

I guess I'm confused about what OGR2OGR does. I thought it converted from
one "projection" to another.

I envision that all I need to do is convert the x/y coordinates of each
point in the current shapefiles to their lat/long equivalents. The relative
locations of all points should not change, all I need to know is the math to
convert from the current numbering measurements to lat/long measurements.

What am I missing?

> Your best bet though would be to use ogr2ogr to convert to
> something that the regular code could handle.  How to get
> there is the trick, when you don't know what you're starting from.

If I can get the current x/y coordinates for a couple known points on the
map, along with the coinciding lat/long coordinates, perhaps I can determine
the system used.

Who knew amateur radio was such a GIS intensive subject!

James