[Xastir] Datum conversions

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 19 16:31:50 EST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, James Ewen wrote:

> It looks like GPSMan would do the conversion, however it won't run on Cygwin
> from what I've read. It looks like I might be able to find Windows based
> software to do the job as well.

GPSMan might be able to run on Windows directly.  It's written in
tcl/tk as I recall.  gpsmanshp might not compile on anything except
Cygwin though.  I think it's in C.  Would have to go look at the
stuff again to be sure.

> This is a good thing in another way as well. I've thought about using the
> GPS record trail function to allow me to create a pseudo map. By carefully
> selecting a limited amount of data from the shapefiles, I should be able to
> create a low detail map of my local area, and upload it to the GPS as a
> trail. By turning record trail off, my "map" will stay in memory. I would be
> able to get a better idea where my uploaded APRS waypoints are on the GPS
> map screen.

You'll see that the capability of loading tracks from Xastir into a
GPS is on the feature request list.  We have the capability of going
the other direction in Xastir, but we haven't implemented this new
direction.  It would be useful for planning a hike or a SAR mission,
were you could create the borders or path in Xastir and then send it
to the GPS as a track or route.  One of these days we'll get that
done.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer