[Xastir] Help installing Cygwin/Xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 20 13:51:55 EST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Jason & Kim Conolly wrote:

> The Readme.W32 instructions for Xastir installation start with
> ./boostrap.sh.  Running this command, I get the following:
>
> JConolly at ConollyLaptop ~/src/xastir
>
> $ ./bootstrap.sh
>
> Removing autom4te.cache directory
>
> Running aclocal
>
> /usr/share/aclocal/freetype2.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of
> AC_CHECK_FT2
>
>     Run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
>
>     Or see
> http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal

Those are ok.  Ignore them.  Depending on which versions of the
autoconf/automake tools that Cygwin is currently using, you'll
sometimes get various warning messages there.  What is important is
whether a viable "configure" script gets written at the end of that
step.

> Continuing through the configure and make steps, the configuration does not
> find packages I believe are installed under Cygwin (based on the list of
> packages from Readme.W32). including AX25, ImageMagick, libproj, GDAL/OGR,
> ShapeLib,dbfawk, etc.

Have you carefully compared the latest list of Cygwin packages with
the list that you get in Cygwin's setup.exe?  You'll end up with
more packages than we have in our list, so don't deselect any in
setup.exe unless you know what you're doing, but make sure you have
that list as a minimum before you proceed with the Xastir install.

> In fact, at the end of the Xastir 1.4.1
> configuration, only pcre and ErrorPopups are included of the external
> libraries.  I'm not sure if this is related to the problem with
> bootstrap.sh?

Try running "./update-xastir" instead, which should run through all
of the steps and give you an Xastir executable installed in the
correct place.  Make sure you run through the list of Cygwin
packages first though as described above.

> Running make results in a gcc command line that includes a -no-undefined
> option that causes an unrecognized option error and a variety of make[x]
> Errors.

Errors or warnings?  I've seen a few warnings, but no errors.  Are
you getting an xastir.exe created in the xastir/src directory?