[Xastir] Georeferencing shapefiles.

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 21 01:38:05 EST 2004

> The first thing I'd ask is:  Are they to scale?  If not, they
> might not be worth the bits they're written on.  Then again,
> they might be better than the Tiger/Line stuff we have down
> here, hi hi.

I have a raster map that is made from this shapefile data. I was able to
georeference it for use in UI-View, and now also in Xastir. As any educated
APRS user knows, the limitations of raster maps limit the usefulness of the
map, whereas a vector map has none of those limitations, hence my drive to
be able to create the vector maps.

> There's such a thing as rubber-sheeting software, that can
> morph a set of data into a new system of coordinates.  If
> your data is to scale and you can find some reference points
> for it, you might be able to go that route and get something useful.

I suspected as much, which is why I posted the query to this august
audience.

I am also following other leads.

James