[Xastir] Georeferencing shapefiles.

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 21 00:44:24 EST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, James Ewen wrote:

> So, here I sit with a problem on my hands.
>
> I have been able to determine that the shapefiles I have are not tied to
> anywhere upon the face of the earth.
>
> >The original "Blackfoot" files were created as dgn files (Microstation)
> >by another person, without being geo-referenced. I imported them into
> >shapefile format. The shapefiles are not georeferenced.
>
> I guess that if shapefiles can be created using 'relative' coordinates,
> there must be a way to tie them to a 'real world' location. I just need to
> figure out how to do that!

The first thing I'd ask is:  Are they to scale?  If not, they might
not be worth the bits they're written on.  Then again, they might
be better than the Tiger/Line stuff we have down here, hi hi.

There's such a thing as rubber-sheeting software, that can morph a
set of data into a new system of coordinates.  If your data is to
scale and you can find some reference points for it, you might be
able to go that route and get something useful.

I suspect Gerry C. will have something to say about it.  I wonder if
he's awake yet?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer