[Xastir] Georeferencing shapefiles.

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Tue Dec 21 08:33:28 EST 2004

That's quite a pickle you're in...

I would imagine that the right steps to take would involve the ogr2ogr
utility included in GDAL/OGR

http://www.remotesensing.org:16080/gdal/ogr/

The README.MAPS file for Xastir has some rudimentary instructions for
using ogr2ogrm, but they all involve moving from a known datum to a
different known datum. If you could construct your own datum definition,
OGR might be able to use that, but that's probably way beyond what 99%
of us here could do...

The non-free program ArcInfo (from ESRI) may be able to do this easier.
I think you can lay down a raster file and use it to move and scale
vectors. Unfortunately, it's quite expensive.

A shapefile just contains numbers -- Xastir expects those numbers to be
lat/longs. I got shapefiles from my city that were using a 'stateplane'
datum, which is "distance in feet relative to a specific point", and
there are hundreds of these specific points -- I had to find the right
code for South Central Texas, which defines the reference point. Luckily
I just told ogr2ogr the region and it did all the translation.

-Lance KJ5O

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://map.findu.com/kj5o-12
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat
the cookies.