[Xastir] Georeferencing shapefiles.

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Dec 21 08:50:35 EST 2004

There's a special place in hell for people who create purely arbitrary
"geospatial" data and make it available to others with poor metadata.

It's possible to take such a file and georeference each polygon vertex,
line end-point and point-value.  It is, however, a PITA.

Much better to seek a raster and get it georeferenced with good
underlying map data, then digitize the points along the map.

When's this race?  I can see if I can remember to bring home a MapInfo
system and look at these things...  however it'd be easier and faster if
you were looking over my shoulder while I was trying, as you're the
local expert on the terrain.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173