[Xastir] Need ideas for messaging changes

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Dec 23 22:25:09 EST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, James Ewen wrote:

> Can we step back a little bit from this current task, and define the concept
> behind the 'round robin' paths?
>
> >From what I understand, if there is data in the Unproto Path field, Xastir
> will use each of them in turn for each subsequent TX. If two paths are set,
> every second transmission goes out via path 1, with the alternate via path
> 2. With all three set, transmissions go out via path 1,2,3,1,2,3...
>
> So, my questions are as follows:
>
> 1) What would the suggested paths be? (Obviously every area would have a
> slightly different implementation. Just in generic terms, i.e.. Local,
> medium distance, long distance?)
>
> 2) What is the reasoning behind this implementation?
>
> I have a good idea what the answers to these questions will be, but I would
> like to know what others think. From these answers, I'll give you my answer
> to your question, Curt.

I can't answer as to what the original thoughts behind them were.
They pre-date me.

How I use them:  I often need a relay station to get out.  Not
always though, as sometimes I can get to one wide that is 87 miles
from me.  I set up my paths like this:

    n7jgx,wide3-3
    wide,wide2-2
    relay,wide3-3

If n7jgx goes off the air, paths 2/3 might still work.

If I can't make it to a wide directly, paths 1/2 will work.

If all home stations near me get knocked off the air (think
power-outage), path #2 will still get me out.

That's what I use them for.  Not sure how anyone else uses them.
I'm not on RF much either.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer